Sunday, October 31, 2010

Tink and Batman

Hello again everyone! Long time no post? I know, I know. We had a fun Halloween this year and I thought I'd share our photos of the occasion. There was a lot of work that went into this one, so I figured it was worth it. :) Lainey was Tinkerbell, as you can see, and we decided to go vintage in honor of Uncle Jason and make Emery into Batman for the evening.

The actual brainstorming and picking out the material was my favorite part of the project since it fed my passion for the color green. It is amazing how many different shades and textures and weights of fabric they make in the color green. Not to mention the sparkles, which I rarely use unless sewing a Tinkerbell costume. I actually started the Tink outfit right before Lainey's birthday so she could wear the underskirt for her party- sort of kill two birds with one stone. There is over 6 yards of material in that underskirt, believe it or not! I got the idea for that from a friend of ours who made her daughter a pettiskirt for a wedding they went to. I found out shortly after that part was done that the ruffles and gathers of the pettiskirt are all the rage right now among the 2 to 8 year old crowd. It was so much fun to sew! I am trying to think of an excuse to make another one in a different color. I started the actual fairy dress the Friday before Halloween, so it was another sewing marathon but I got it done in time for the neighborhood Halloween party. It was cute to see our little girl all decked out in fairy apparel and now she has a new dress-up dress!


Daddy and I were quite proud of our little Tink and she was soaking it up. She usually avoids the camera and ignores us when we ask her to stand still for a photo but today she loved it. We heard plenty of "cheeeeessssse- ooohhhh's" that night. (Ileana- David and I finally figured out what the ooohhhh part comes from, by the way. We realized that every time she said cheese we were saying "aaaawe." Thus, her "cheeeesssse!" evolved into "cheeeeesssse- ooohhhh!")




You can see Emery (in the stroller off to the right of the photo in the distance), "hey guuuyyyys! I'm over heeeerrrrre!"





We decided not to carve the pumpkins you see in the distance. The squirrels were extra hungry this year and all of the pumpkins in the neighborhood with a face on them ended up faceless with a gaping hole instead after a night outside. There actually used to be two little pumpkins right next to the big pumpkins (Lainey and Emery pumpkins) but the darn squirrels ate 'em whole!






We even caught a video on David's phone!






The Halloween party was at Jeff and Katie's (Sylvia's) this year since it was at Zander's house last year. It was the second annual and we decided we will rotate houses so the hosts don't get burnt out.


This is the newest addition to the neighborhood baby boom. Little Leo was a lion this year- very clever. He is just a couple of weeks younger than Emery and lives right across the street from us!

Lainey and Zander, enjoying cupcakes and Michigan apple cider, are like two peas in a pod. Very different personalities for sure but they love hanging out together. We thought it might be funny to make them "thing one and thing two" from Dr. Seuss for Halloween. We still can't figure out how four parents with dark hair could make two such blond haired children. :)



Lainey kept stealing everyone else's hat.



Ready, set, go! After the group photo we decided to try a few doors on our street before everyone got too tired. Here the Z-rocket, Thomas the Tank Engine, Princess Aurora, and Tinkerbell are off on their way in search of some treats. Batman and Leo the Lion followed behind to see how it was done.




Lainey's first trick or treat! She was happier to see the doggy at this house than she was about getting candy.



By the third house she had it down: Say treat and out comes a bowl full of candy and all you have to do is grab as much as you can before the boring parents (or owner of the bowl) yell that's enough! Those of you who put the treat in the bag for the kid are wise.




Lainey admired this house for weeks before Halloween. If you take a look at the front door you will see two enormous spiders. Every time we walked past this house when we were out strolling Lainey would say "look Momma! Speeders!"





Que music: Dun, dun, DUUUUN!!!! All you boys out there know what I am talking about. :) Emery's costume took me about 10 minutes and was just about as cute. Auntie Ileana bought him a Batman shirt while she and Uncle Jason were here visiting (because Jason was batman for probably an entire year of his young life). I got some leggings from Target. Then I cut off the bottom of one of my old knit shirts and sewed it to the back of his Batman shirt for a cape and his hat was one of the sleeves of my t-shirt cut off and sewn half shut. Ha! I thought that was great. Boys are just as much fun to dress up and 10 times easier!





Very funny. No, Emery was not actually drinking soda- are you kidding! All that sugar would make his poo even more plentiful, not to mention rotting the teeth of a dentist's child- yes, Emery got his second tooth just a few days prior. And no, Lainey didn't eat all of that candy. Just the few she could sneak before I realized what was going on, took a picture, and stole it from her.



After we got home I realized we hadn't taken any brother-sister costume shots. I am amazed they were still in such a great mood at 9:00 pm but they did a great job being patient with me and my "say cheeeessse!"



Monkey see, monkey do. I love this photo.



Emery's turn to hog the attention. It's tough to get to many shots from the stroller.


He is such a handsome little Batman. Much better looking than Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, or Christian Bale. Maybe even cuter than Uncle Jason- though I'm a little biased.



They may look like the same photo but they aren't. I just couldn't tell which one I liked better so I thought I'd share them both. I just love, love, love my little Em-O!

2 comments:

Brit said...

awesome job on the costumes! Luv the little tink! How's everything going with you guys? Take care!

Connor and Jana said...

They are so big and so cute!! Don't kids grow too fast. Your costumes look amazing! I hope things are going good for you!