Friday, October 24, 2008

Lainey meets Grandpa Paul and Uncle James



Lainey thought she might share some of Daddy's favorite food! "Mmm... my first strawberry short cake..."


We had two weeks between Grandma Pat's visit and when my Dad and James came so we had a few days to see if Lainey would take a bottle. I pumped during the day and David liked feeding her at night when he got home from work. I just might be able to go to that game after all!


Yeah! My little helper and I finally have some hungry guys to cook for! Our next visitors were Grandpa Paul and Uncle James, who flew out together on October 24th, the day before the Michigan-Michigan State civil war game (they don't call it that here but that is what David and I refer to it as since that is what they call it in Oregon).

Lainey and Grandpa


I got the guts to leave Lainey for the longest time yet, and went to the game with David and James. I called my Dad every hour to make sure she was still ok and he kept giving me good reports so I was able to make it through the whole game! I have to admit- I didn't even pay attention to the last quarter because all I could think about was getting back to see Lainey. (Not a big deal really, since Michigan is not doing well at all this year!) She did very well and my Dad was thrilled to have spent some one on one time with her.


After the excitement of seeing the game had passed the guys got down to business and made a plan of attack for the projects around the house. I had a few small things on the list, like shelves and baby proof stairs- maybe some conduit for the electricity to the garage...I woke up from a nap with Lainey and went outside to find them making plans to concrete our garage! I thought they were nuts! In order to get started with the concrete they had to make sure the pipe was in for the electrical wiring. So, as you can see, they started by putting my flower bed on the side walk so they could dig a mini trench and bore a hole under another part of the sidewalk. This was a dirty job but James was excited to get started.



Who says we need a bigger car... :)



After they finished with the trench, they raked off all of the existing gravel in the garage to save it for compacting later. Then they figured out how much dirt they would have to remove via shovel to get it deep enough for the concrete. They covered half of our back yard in dirt (our poor grass!) then picked up a load of gravel to compact before ordering the concrete. The concrete company told us they would stay here with the truck for an hour- thank goodness the driver was so nice because it took them 2 hours to get it all poured. My dad had done some concrete in the past but David and James were new to the trade and had to learn as they went- as quickly as possible since concrete sets up fast! They finished up with some darn nice looking concrete, conduit for electricity to the garage (which they had to bore under our side walk to put in- thank you James) and some strange new tools for David's collection. What a fun project- I should know not to underestimate how much they can get done when those guys get together!


Ready, set, go!...I'll watch.



Lainey and I were in charge of the camera.

Oh what a hard day's work...time to relax.



No comments: