David was able to get his last shift in the Emergency department covered for today so he relieved me and stayed with Emery last night and today. I went home and spent some time with Lainey. As you can see, Emery was very happy to see Daddy when he got here with his favorite ball. Here, Emery still has his NG (for sucking the bile that isn't passing out of his belly), his two IVs and his catheter to collect urine.
I got a text from David about 1:00 last night saying Emery had his first big poop all over and then he told me they kept coming all night and into the today. Very good news. On rounds today they removed the catheter for urine and changed the NG from suction to gravity which means there is not as much coming out and his body may be starting to process something now. They also said his blood cultures are coming back negative and if they are still negative after 48 hours they will discontinue the antibiotics. His specialist rounded today and his pharmacist put together an order for the IV nutrition, which they started tonight.
They were starting a new IV when I got here this evening. The ones in his hands failed so he now has one in his foot. He is getting his last antibiotics as I type (his cultures continue to be negative). They clamped his NG to see if he can tolerate not having a drain in over night. If he doesn't tolerate it, he will start vomiting again, but it has been 4 hours and he is still ok. If he keeps improving we will take that out of his nose tomorrow or he next day after he proves hat we aren't going to have to just put it back down. I have a few more cute photos I'll post as well.
Thanks everyone for your prayers, by the way. Things seem to be going so much smoother this time as far as getting things situated for food and care for Lainey. God is good! Also, it is amazing how much easier it is when I am not pumping for him in addition to everything else! I'll post a few more photos.
No comments:
Post a Comment