Wednesday, June 1, 2011
Lainey in all of this
Sorry- I fell asleep posting a few more photos last night. Still no more news as of right now. Emery slept about 6 hours and seems to have done well having the NG clamped off. No vomiting all night. He didn't pass any stool but that wouldn't be too different than normal because he usually doesn't while he is sleeping. Keep praying for poo! They should be coming for rounds soon so we will find out what the plan is for today.
You might wonder where Lainey is through all of this. She is doing remarkably well. Probably because she feels like this is still a vacation from the norm. When we brought Emery in on Sunday Lainey had fallen asleep in the car on the way. She managed to stay asleep in the stroller for the next two hours through the admitting, examining, and poking. She finally woke up as they were ready to take him to x-ray and Emery already had his IVs and monitors on. She looked at him... and looked at me... "snack please momma?" Nothing like a toddler to snap you back to reality- or at least normal life. Since it was a good transition time, David went to x-ray with Emery and I in search of snack for Lainey. We were also going to meet with David's co-resident's family who happened to be here eating dinner with dad on his call day.
The Tangs graciously took Lainey home with them right from there. She stayed with them last time and they have 4 kids all a little older than Lainey, so I knew she would have fun. Not to mention, it was going to be hot and they were planning a BBQ for Memorial Day. I got there to pick her up on Monday evening and she didn't even want to go home. She actually asked if she could stay! I knew I could count on the Tang kids to provide a fun-filled day. She enjoyed the fire works and is still carrying around the "new pretties" that were in her hair when she came home. Thanks again to the Tangs!
When we got home Monday night I realized I had forgotten to get the house keys from David. When we left together on Sunday we just grabbed one set of keys, which we have been passing back and forth. This time I got the car key but forgot the house key! Back to the hospital we went. On the way in Lainey saw some wheel chairs and asked what they were for. We happened to be going through the birth center triage area. I told her that mommies need them when they have babies because their bellies get bigger and bigger as the baby grows, and when the baby is ready to come out their bellies are so big that it sometimes gets difficult for the mommies to walk. I thought that was an ok answer. A few minutes later we were in the floor snack room getting Lainey some watered down juice (special treat) and she starts spouting, "look momma! BIG belly!" I tried to ignore her for lack of a better option and waited until the rather large woman in the snack room exited. I was mortified! How do you explain your way out of a poorly thought through explanation? Very carefully. Lainey looks at me with a very matter of fact, let me get this straight look and says, "ok, Momma, no say anything about big bellies 'cause it hurts people's fingers, ok [got it]." Phew. I think she got it? I love my little stinker.
Tuesday we decided I should stay home and get some things in order and spend some time with miss Lainey. David goes back to more unpredictable long days today so I will be mostly at the hospital with Emery from here on. She and I made waffles together and practiced her letters while we waited for the laundry. We also had the neighbor over for some pool time for a couple of hours on a very hot day. Then she slept while I cooked like a mad person, cleaned up the mess, got her and I packed for the next day and ready to go relieve Daddy to spend some time outside.
Lainey has play date plans with a different friend each day this week and she seems to just be taking all of this in stride. She will be with the Moon-Pez girls on Wednesday and Xavi and Norma on Thursday. She has only gotten a couple of "really, really, hurty tummies" on the way to the hospital for a visit (sympathy pains). Our hope is that she doesn't look back on these admit dates as horrible, life stopping events. She does miss Emery and they are cute together when she visits. I think they have been developing a bond in the last few months. So Lainey is doing well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment