Saturday, August 27, 2011

Cheerios and a leave on pass...

I finally got the guts to give Emery some cheerios. Lainey was hungry when she got here this morning and it seemed like a good time to let him participate in meal time. I never did capture the very proud smile he was giving Lainey. It may all be in my head, but it looked like he was proud to be part of "the club." He looked like he felt so special and included, rather than getting the quiver lip and hurt tears when he sees me give Lainey food. There may still be some hurt tears in his future because he can't eat anything with sugar but I'm sure he will adjust. At least he can eat something. There are plenty of people out there who can't have sugar for various reasons.

It will be a process of educated trial and error to find out what he will tolerate and what he will not. Similar to feeding a new baby. One food at a time, wait and see. It makes me smile thinking I'm going to experience those 'yuck' faces or the 'mmmm... That's pretty good' faces with Emery all over again.

He had a good day. Cheerios, sister time, visitors, and a leave on pass. Yes, we got to go home for an hour and a half yesterday. Yay! I got another one of those deeply happy smiles that say it all, as we buckled him into his car seat. Moments like those make me feel so fortunate to be Emery's mom. When we got home we went right to business as usual. Dinner and bath time- only at the end we went back to the hospital for bed. He didn't seem sad at all to go back, just completely content to go along for the ride.

No comments: