To give you a little back ground info, my Grandma Evelyn (my Dad's mom) would make us kids PJs every year for Christmas. A couple of those years I remember whining like the selfish child I was- "awe, PJs again!" I think I was ten when I received my last pair from her. I actually still fit the shirt and it is still in my PJ drawer, if you can believe that! I'm not sure why, but those PJs made a lasting impression on me. Maybe it is because now that I am older I realize how much love went into making them. I made my first pair of PJs for my cousin Alexandrea when she was about a year old, so in 1994. Actually, it was a nightgown. Then, in 1998 Britt came along and as soon as he was walking I started making them for him since he didn't have a Grandma to make him PJs.
Every year I try and pick out material that reminds me of who I am making the PJs for. Last year it was fun to make some girlie PJs for Ileana and Kaia, as they seem to have become part of the family. In all, I made seven pairs of PJ bottoms and four full sets of PJs in 2007. Since I wasn't blogging at that time last year I have included a photo of the PJ clad Stupfel tribe. We don't have many photos of our whole family, so I love this one.
The kids are always so cute. Here you see they are mostly civilized in their "normal" picture, and of course, they had to get a silly photo as well. It is amazing how much they have all grown up even since then! I was informed by Britt later on that Christmas day that I no longer needed to make him a PJ shirt because he was getting old enough that he wouldn't be needing one any longer. "You see," he said, "big boys don't need to sleep in a night shirt anymore. All I need are the bottoms." Looks like Britt is getting ready to join the ranks as an adult already! As you might imagine, Trevor was quick to second Britt's decision. I guess I knew that day would come. A little sad but also a relief- the shirts take twice as long as the bottoms!
I found some flannel-backed Pooh satin I couldn't pass up last summer when I was pregnant with Lainey, so I knew she was set for her very first home made PJs. I finally found the perfect patten of material for each of the guys as well and I got started. This year I decided to scale back on the PJ production. I started with the Pooh PJs to be sure I got them done in time for Christmas eve- I didn't know how much sewing I would get done with Lainey by my side. Then, as requested, I made bottoms only for Britt and Trevor. I also made a pair for Uncle Mark and some new pants for David, Steven, and myself...because it is sooo nice to pull on a brand new pair of PJs on Christmas eve and lounge around in them on Christmas morning.
Since I wasn't going to be able to see Britt, Trevor, or Uncle Mark in person I got a couple of pictures of their PJs. I didn't take pictures of our PJs before Christmas because they had to be a surprise...
No comments:
Post a Comment