Sunday, June 15, 2008

Moving in: Let the repairs begin!









.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The first day in our new home also happened to be Father's Day, so we went to Weber's, a local hotel, for breakfast. They had a nice breakfast buffet for the occasion, which was a great start to a long day of moving and repairs. We were able to take our time moving in since we didn't have to return the truck for two more days. It was also nice to have the truck around for the many trips to Lowes and Home Depot! It was a blessing to have David's Dad here to help us move in since there were so many little fixes to do here and there so we could move in. He is quite the handy man and electrician, which was nice because there was quite a list of electrical work to do!

After the guys got the lawn mower up and running- you'll see why that was a priority in the next post...- Al helped us get the washer and dryer electric hook ups moved from the middle of the basement family room area (strange place for it) to the laundry room. There was just barely enough room to stack them but they fit perfectly. That was my favorite fix- I am grateful every time I do a load that I have a laundry room now! He also fixed the flood light in the back yard, which was installed basically for looks since it was installed upside down with no electricity! Another fix I am grateful for since there have been many early morning or late night trips to the hospital to pick up David and it is scary enough going outside that late at night in a strange place, even with a light! After a full electrical inspection, Al also found that there was no power to the bathroom plug either. It turned out that the people who lived here last had screwed a screw into the wire, causing it to short out and melt. I ended up learning a ton about basic electrical just following him around for a couple of days in our small house! What a busy couple of days and just the beginning for David...he had a test to take that week to kick off his busy oral surgery program schedule. So, after our first meal in our new home, he was off to school on Tuesday to study and get some things in order.


We were able to get a lot done while David's dad was here, and at least as far as we could tell, our house was electrically sound. It was nice to get some piece of mind about our new home from someone who had owned a home before, knows a lot about house repair stuff, and wasn't trying to sell us the house! Thanks a lot for all of the help Al, we appreciate you lending your expertise!

3 comments:

Pedro and Felis Patlan said...

Hi Melissa, Thanks for the comment on my blog...great to see you, so happy now we will be able to stay up to date on you guys! You look great by the way! Can't wait to see pics of the baby that is coming.

Saw Steven at Katie's wedding and he was telling me that you were having a girl...how exciting...! We joked about how Annika has always held a special place in his heart and now there would be some competition...LOL! Anyway...this blogging is great. I am new to it, but it sure is a great way to keep everyone updated...when you live far away. Take Care

PerryParty3 said...

Don't you love it when professionals are in the family? That's great Dave's dad was there to help with all of that. We have no knowledge of electrical stuff. Your home looks nice! I'd love to see more pictures! Hope your feeling well. I think we need an updated prego picture....before it's too late and the baby is here!

thesearlesociety said...

Wow, sounds like an adventure with all those repairs. I know how it is to have someone who knows how to fix electrical problems. My dad is an electrician so it was nice to call him up, when we lived in Oregon, and have him take a look or let me know what I could do! I hope you are getting all settled now before you have your baby. Good Luck! Oh, and I was wondering how you get more than one picture side by side on your blog? I just can't seem to do it!